Masjid Ikhlas Nikkah/Marriage Procedure
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Your decision to marry is a spiritual covenant that is rooted in a commitment to one another. A wedding is a joyous event, and we are honored that you’ve chosen us to share the occasion!
If you would like to be married at Masjid Ikhlas or request the Imam to officiate your wedding ceremony, you must complete the following steps:
Step 1: The Islamic Wedding contract is a solemn oath between the spouses and families and their responsibility to each other in front of Allah (God) which requires:
- The offer of marriage and acceptance freely and willingy
- The Mahr (Dowry) gift, given to the Bride, by the party of the Groom
- The “Wali” Guardian of bride if available
- Two witnesses* for the Nikkah Ceremony
*The bride and groom must provide at least two Muslim, male witnesses for their nikkah ceremony, of which the “Wali” does not qualify. The masjid will not provide these witnesses.
Step 2: Obtain Marriage License from your Local County Courthouse. Please remember our nikkahs are also legal marriages, therefore we must enforce this procedure.
The original marriage license and the provided return envelope need to be given to the Imam on the day of your Premarital Counseling Session or by the Nikkah Date at the latest.
Step 3: Submit online Nikkah Service Request form. Please be sure to do this at least two weeks prior to the ceremony. Once your information is received the office of the Imam will work on securing an officiant as well as scheduling the mandatory Premarital Counseling Session. Click here to access the form.
Step 4: Schedule your counseling session. Our premarital counseling requirement is designed for the couple to gain greater insight into a harmonious marriage that is guided by Islamic teachings and principles. We pray that this process prepares both of you for the journey ahead.
Please review the Premarital Questionnaire prior to your session.
Step 5: Submit documents and administrative fee.
- Marriage Licenses and provided return envelope
- Masjid Ikhlas Marriage Application Form
- Administrative fee:
- (On-Site at Masjid) $50 for paid-members of Masjid Ikhlas, $100 for non-paid members.
- (Off-site at separate location) $100 for paid-members of Masjid Ikhlas, $150 for non-paying members.
- Policy Regarding travel of Imam off-site: Please note that the Imam is volunteering his own time and transportation which, is not included in the Nikkah Administrative Fee.
Step 6: (optional) Reserving a room for the ceremony. If you are planning on having your nikkah here at Masjid Ikhlas, and only planning on doing the contract signing with no set up necessary, you will only need to inform the Office Manager on how many guests you are planning on having (this accommodation will be included inshAllah). However if you are planning on having a ceremony with setup and food being served, you will need to contact the Office Manager with reservations at [email protected] for arrangements as well as fees associated with room rental.
Couples are encouraged to read:
“Before You Tie the Knot” Salma Abugudairi & Imam Mohamed Magid
“Engagement in Islam” Imam Mohamed Magid & Younus Mirza